Whether your hair has blonde highlights, colored tips or is dyed any color of the rainbow, it’s important to do everything you can to keep your hair healthy. Keep your colored hair healthy by following the simple steps below.
1. Try to extend the time between hair washing. The more you wash, the quicker hair color fades. You can always wear a shower cap, and will find it’s a great investment on days that you don’t need to wash your hair.
2. Use shampoo formulated for colored hair. Many regular shampoos contain sulfates, which are harsh on hair and can strip it of color. Shampoos for colored hair are free from sulfates and help maintain your color for as long as possible. We love Avon CHI Essentials Replenishing Shampoo, which features a blend of aloe, pomegranate and hibiscus containing essential vitamins and minerals, not to mention it’s sulfate-free—making it a great shampoo for color-treated hair.
3. Your hair deserves to be treated with care and it’s important to maintain a hair routine similar to how you keep a skin care routine. Once a week, treat your tresses to a hair mask like Avon Elastine PropoliThera Hair Mask, featuring our buzzworthy blend made with beeswax, honey and royal jelly to help provide deep nutrition, and the formula is safe for color-treated and chemically treated hair. It’s free of sulfates and parabens and helps hair feel rejuvenated and look shinier. Plus, it feels like an indulgence.
4. Use hair serum daily on ends and work up to just below roots if needed. Arctic Fox Money Hunny Repair Serum is a great option for colored hair. The silky, lightweight formula is infused with amino acids and oils to help repair, smooth and hydrate hair, and features Prodew®500, which is expected to improve hair lustre and color retention of dyed hair.
5. To protect your colored hair, try to keep heat exposure to a minimum, as the heat from styling tools can cause hair dye to fade. We know it’s hard to avoid your favorite straightener, curling iron and hair dryer completely, so on days that you do use them, be sure to apply a heat-protectant spray (before styling) that’s safe for colored hair—we love Avon CHI Essentials Thermal Protectant Spray. Infused with essential nutrients, vitamins and antioxidants, this thermal hairspray helps protect hair from the damaging heat of styling tools.
6. The best way to keep hair safe from environmental factors is to keep it covered. Wear a hat when exposed to the sun, as it can fade your color. This not only happens in the hot summer sun, but also holds true in the winter time!